Thursday, March 4, 2010

Basic Tools for Paper Crafters

All hobbies require their own tools: knitters need yarn and needles; photographers need cameras, lenses, and filters; and woodworkers (like my husband) apparently need a garage full of large and expensive tools like table saws, band saws, and routers.

As stampers and scrapbookers we need our own tools too, but thankfully ours are reasonably priced. All our tools put together are still less expensive than just one of my husband's saw blades!
 
The paper cutter is probably the first tool you need to turn your card stock into cards. This cutter, available from Stampin' Up!, is one of Fiskars' better models. It can easily cut 12"x12" papers and card stock, but it is still lightweight and portable. It's fast and easy to use, and while I have had trouble with cheaper plastic models, with this cutter I've been able to make good straight cuts and 90 degree corners every time. ($24.95, item #104152)

The bone folder is a simple tool, but it's amazing how useful it is and how quickly it becomes one of your most reached-for items. It gives folds a nice crease; it can be used along with your paper cutter to score card stock; and I use it to separate card layers if I've made a mistake and I need to take my card apart and rework it. ($6.95, item #102300)

Paper snips are the perfect scissors for cutting shapes out of paper and card stock. I like to stamp images, color them, cut them out, and pop them up on Stampin' Dimensionals. This look adds a lot to a card or scrapbook page, and it's a fun alternative to buttons, rhinestone brads, felt flowers, or other purchased decorations. ($9.95, item #103579)

SNAIL is my first choice in adhesives, I use this more than I use any other kind. SNAIL leaves a strip of stickiness without the inconvenience of double-stick tape or the mess of glue. It's fast, easy, permanent, and the #1 choice for most card makers and scrapbookers. ($6.95, item #104332)

The Stampin' Scrub is the best and fastest way to clean your rubber stamps. Just lightly spray one half with the Stampin' Mist and leave the other half dry. The Stampin' Mist cleans and conditions your stamps, and the dry side of the Stampin' Scrub removes any leftover ink and moisture. (Stampin Scrub $16.95 item #102642; Stampin' Mist $4.50 item #102394)

The Stamp-a-ma-jig is one of my favorite tools, but not everyone uses one. This is a tool which needs to be demonstrated instead of described, ask me to show you how this works in person. (11.95, item #101049)
 
 
Sale-A-Bration is still going on, but only until March 31st. This is the perfect time to stock up on your stamping tools and supplies, because the more you buy during the Sale-A-Bration event, the more free stamp sets you can earn! If you were to buy every tool on my list your total would be $82.20 (still less than one of my husband's saw blades), and you would qualify for a free stamp set or other Sale-A-Bration reward. Add another product for $18.00 or more, and you'll receive two sets!



Charly Bratt
CharlysInkLink@gmail.com
http://charlysinklink.blogspot.com/
http://www.charlysinklink.stampinup.net/
 


No comments:

Post a Comment